OMG! This soup is amazing. Not kidding! Do you want to know what the best part is... my husband made it! He came home one day and said, "Honey! I had this soup today at the cafe near my work and it was amazing". He asked them the ingredients and then searched online for a similar recipe, it wasn't quite right so he made it up. Whatever he did...it is soooo good! And it is pretty dang healthy minus the cream part, but it is made with all veggies, so in my book this is healthy.
To make this soup you will need the following:Yield 10 servings
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1 pound leeks, chopped
• 1 onion (yellow), chopped
• 2 quarts water (add ½ quart extra for brown rice)
• 3 potatoes (red), chopped
• 2 large carrots, chopped
• 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
• 1/3 cup uncooked long-grain white rice (substitute brown if desire)
• 4 teaspoons sea salt
• 1/2 pound fresh spinach
• 1 cup heavy cream or ½ pint of half-and-half
Do you have a Vidalia Chopper? If you don't, go right now, run don't walk, run and go get one right now!! They are awesome. They cut most everything except carrots and potatoes. But everythng else! And fast! It cuts your prep work down by at least half the time.
To make the soup:
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the leeks (wash well) and onion, and cook until tender.
2. Pour water into the pot. Mix in potatoes, carrots, asparagus, and rice. Season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, until vegetables and rice are tender.
3. Stir spinach and heavy cream into the soup mixture, and continue cooking about 5 minutes before serving.
4. For best results let stand over night. Key ingredients are the leeks & sea salt.
This is by far my favorite soup I have ever had. Who knew that my husband had it in him! He is seriously underestimated most of the time. But just in time for our 5 year anniversary he has made himself noticed. Love and SPRING are in the air. Enjoy!